Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Part 1 of 2 Summer 2012

This will be a long post so please be patient. So much has been happening this past week and a half that I am just a wee bit overwhelmed. I finished school on June 13th, went to the doctor, and flew to Utah to take Casey down to BYU. We got him checked into his dorm on Thursday morning and spent the rest of the day shopping for all of the things he will need for the next six weeks, and Casey spent his first night on campus as an official college student. On Friday, I attended the parent orientation while Case attended the New Student Orientation. They had a lot of great advice to offer and encouraged us to foster independence in our children, learn to let go, and speak to our children adult to adult. Well, I guess that’s a nice way of saying back off helicopter mommies! Seriously though, I loved it! They also told us that 90% of freshman change their major at least once before they graduate. Right after this, Casey came up to me and told me he was changing his major. (He wasn’t in that meeting) He is now majoring in Manufacturing Engineering. He wants to be able to actually create things not just plan them. Casey has the neatest group of boys in his dorm. He is rooming with five others and they get along well. This is Casey and one of his roommates Kenai. Much to my dismay as I was dropping Casey off for the evening, there were a couple of RA’s throwing away a ‘perfectly good’ TV and Casey snagged it. (Darn!) On Saturday, I went to the Provo Temple and enjoyed a quiet morning. By the afternoon, I was bored stiff! We took Colin Rivera out to CafĂ© Rio and enjoyed some awesome BBQ pork. Colin then took us to the DI (Utah’s equivalent of Goodwill) and Casey found the ‘perfect’ TV stand. On Sunday, Casey stayed to attend church at school, and I drove up to Farmington to go to church with one of our favorite families, the Petersons! I got lost, was late, and then got pulled over! The officer was kind and let me off with directions to the church. Phew! I was sweating. After church, I drove to temple square in Salt Lake City and finished reading the Book of Mormon for the VERY first time! I loved it and have definitely gained a stronger testimony. Finishing it while sitting next to the temple was incredible!!! I then went back to the hotel and sat outside by the pool. Wasn’t long before a bee came along and stung me. It hurt! Monday, Casey went to his first BYU classes and loved it. He is pretty excited about attending BYU. I went to the Bean Museum with the Morgan family and waited for Casey. We flew to Seattle that evening and Kelly picked us up and took us to spend the night in a hotel. Tuesday, we drove to Yakima to drop Casey off for his football practice and game this upcoming Saturday. Kelly and I then drove home, did some laundry and I drove back to Seattle to be with my sis for her surgery and hospital stay.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Pulled over? Stung by a bee? As if taking your "baby" to college isn't hard enough! Glad you have also had some time to enjoy trips to the temple and visits with friends. I miss our walks!