Sunday, February 3, 2013

Just Do It!

For the past two months one of my VERY best friends has been telling me that I just need to get on and start blogging again. So many things have happened in our lives since November that it’s hard to know where to start. I’m going to start with January. The first week of January I was called to serve as the Young Women’s President in the Chelan ward. It was with extremely mixed feelings that I accepted this call. First, I knew how much Shannon loved serving with these girls and how much this call meant to her. Second, I felt less than adequate. I painted a castle wall with an arch that serves as a blackboard. My idea is that the girls are all daughters of a King, so they deserve a castle. DeAndra England, Kendra Hinckley, and Lindsea Volle served with me. These three women are incredible! I love them! On Monday the 29th of January, Casey’s mission call finally came in the mail. My poor boy had been waiting for five weeks. This wouldn’t have seemed long were it not for him being told that the average call was received in nine days! It turned out that there was a decimal misplaced on his medication. An easy fix, and they made his assignment. We then waited, and waited, and waited. I arranged with our post office to have them express mail it when it came into Entiat. We expected to receive it on Thursday, and it didn’t come. Friday – nope! Monday came and I called only to be told that, no it had not come yet. So, I let Casey know and headed home. When I stopped by the post office, I noticed that the gal was still working. (This is unusual because it was six o’clock at night.) I headed home and when I checked the mail—there it was! I rushed back to the post office and was able to mail it that night!
We arranged to have Casey on Skype and open it up during mutual since both Kelly and I had to be at the Church. This was honestly the most AMAZING experience! We had about forty church members at church, and Tina, Rachel, and Andy on Skype. Skype!
Of course Casey called about five minutes early and so everyone at church was waiting, but no one had shown up at his apartment yet. Everyone waiting on Casey!
When he finally attempted to open the envelope, he was shaking so bad he could hardly get it open much less read it. Me anxiously waiting for him to quit shaking and read!
I don’t think I can describe the pride and joy I felt when Casey read those words, “Dear Elder Sorensen: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” His next words were met with a HUGE cheer from everyone in the room as well as on the computer. “You are assigned to labor in the England Birmingham Mission.” Needless to say that after the cheer, there were many tears on my part. There was quite a bit of giggling on Andy’s part as Casey’s reaction was priceless. Casey is so excited to serve and has been anxiously preparing. My Boy!
So, we had a really high on Wednesday, only to come crashing down on Sunday. Saturday night we received a phone call from the Stake Presidency requesting a meeting with Kelly on Sunday morning. I knew beyond any doubt that he was being released. I should have known when they asked me to join him that it would be more than that. Well not only did they release him, they released me too! But that was not to be the biggest bomb. They then proceeded to inform us that we would no longer be a part of the Chelan ward and that Entiat was now a part of the Rocky Reach ward. Oh and you might want to bear your testimony but don’t say anything, we will be announcing it at the end of sacrament. WHAT??? I haven’t stopped crying yet. I honestly do not know why my Heavenly Father feels that I need to face these challenges, but every time I get excited about serving, I am released. This time, I am being torn from my extended family. The Chelan ward has changed my life, and I don’t want to lose them! Oh my, now the tears are flowing again. I will have to call it good for now.

3 comments:

Grammy Rae said...

Your Chelan family loves you and is extremely sad about this change. You have been a good force for our ward. I've enjoyed seeing the growth in you and in Kelly. You have a great family. Come visit! We love you!

Lindsea said...

I second everything my mom said! I'm so glad we got to know you and serve with you. The Rocky Reach ward is blessed to have such a great family joining them and don't worry, you can't get rid of us that easily!! We love you!

Shannon said...

This post made me cry. Such major ups and downs! The key here is that we are FAMILY. You might move away, but you never leave. You are tied with heartstrings!